Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sunday, August 8

I'm now home, safe and sound. My trip home went astoundingly well. Friday morning I hiked out to Hwy. 50 along the Monarch Crest Trail, which was shorter and easier than the way I'd hike to Green Creek. The MCT follows the Continental Divide and gave me fabulous views, including of Mts. Ouray and Chepeta blanketed in gray clouds set against a clear blue sky. Shortly after arriving at the highway, I was picked up by an ecologist working for the summer at the field station near Crested Butte who was driving all the way to the Denver airport. We had a lot in common both professionally and personally, so the trip went quickly. It was especially fun for me because our drive took us through a lot of the country I hiked the last couple weeks. Once at the airport, I successfully changed my flight plans and found a nearby hotel. I caught a 6:30 AM flight and got home yesterday afternoon.

It's good to be here. I had a great trip and already look forward to more hiking, camping, and even backpacking (this morning I read the latest issue of Backpacker, which came while I was gone). But it's time to be here. I'm enjoying time with Maddy and talking on the phone with Toby, my parents, and my sister. And the comforts and familiarity of home feel good. My feet are healing now that I'm able to stay off them.

Over the next weeks I'll update the brief reports Lori posted with notes from my journal and some of the many photos I took. I want to thank her again for making the great maps and posting my brief reports from the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment